Obstructive Sleep Apnoea (OSA) is the narrowing or closing of your upper airways while you sleep. This breathing disorder causes your muscles to relax, to the extent that the soft tissue at the back of your throat sags and obstructs your airflow. It results in snoring and waking up continuously through the night from lack of oxygen.
Snoring and OSA are not only irritating to those sleeping beside you. They can also have serious effects on your health. It can lead to constant tiredness, irritability and loss of concentration. Left untreated, OSA may also contribute to major illnesses such as hypertension and coronary artery disease.
Our experienced team at Mosman Fine Dental can assist you in managing this condition.
- The first step is working with your GP and Specialist Respiratory Physician to arrange a sleep study (polysomnogram). This diagnoses the severity of your Obstructive Sleep Apnoea and snoring.
- In mild to moderate cases, our dental sleep medicine trained dentists can provide you with a customised oral appliance to help manage sleep disordered breathing). This type of appliance is like a retainer and works to move your bottom jaw and tongue forward whilst you sleep. This prevents the soft tissue at the back of your throat collapsing and obstructing your airflow.
- This method is proven to be as effective as Continuous Positive Airway Pressure (CPAP) in the management of mild to moderate cases. But without the inconvenience of wearing the CPAP mask at night!
- Our dentists will continue to review and adjust your device to help improve your OSA and snoring.
- We recommend a repeat sleep study with you wearing your new oral appliance at a later stage to accurately assess your improvements.
Get your restful nights back by booking in an initial consultation to assess your snoring or OSA. Our experienced team at Mosman Fine Dental are only a phone call away.